UBC Faculty of Medicine academic programs are provided at UBC, University of Victoria, University of Northern BC and UBC-Okanagan. In addition, the Faculty imparts education in a variety of medical facilities throughout the province.
To enable core training to be effectively delivered in clinical and academic settings, medical education requires these types of infrastructure:
- Academic space in affiliated hospitals to enable groups of trainees and clinical faculty to meet to review patients
- Video-conference rooms to ensure that trainees can connect to academic learning delivered elsewhere
- Call-rooms and other living facilities to enable students/residents to stay overnight or take call
The FoM Space Planning & Facilities Management unit provides the following services in support of health education, research and administration:
- Champions the FoM’s academic space interests with the Ministry of Health, Health Authorities, and UBC stakeholders.
- Manages Ministry of Health funding for minor capital renovations of FoM academic space.
- Leads the design and project management of FoM capital projects at University and Health Care facilities across BC, creating the functional program requirements for academic space and negotiating project budgets with the Ministry of Health.
- Manages shared academic resources and systems across the province including video-conference facilities, lecture theatres, on-call rooms and other teaching facilities.
- Develops implements and maintains academic space management committees, policies, guidelines, agreements, tools and processes.
- Creates space plans and manages renovations, relocations and maintenance projects at FoM sites.
- Coordinates the office management for the FoM Dean’s Office at various distributed sites.
- Maintains an inventory of FoM academic space across the province.
- Manages and maintains FoM facilities, such as the Life Sciences Centre, to ensure health, safety and security issues of the building and its occupants are addressed.
- Coordinates the procurement of computer, office equipment and mobile devices for the FoM Point Grey Campus and Health Authority sites.